Here exists a log that I use to remind myself what to cover in class. The main audience is me. It might not be thorough. It might not make sense. It might not be helpful. It might be full of lies. However, I’m already writing it for myself so I might as well share it.
- draw cool diagram explaining change of basis and eigenstuff
- final review
week of 5/27
- More determinants
- Cofactor -> upper triangular -> REF method
- Talk about 4.4 and determinants
- Left multiplication affects rows
- Row operations yields invertible matrices
- Rank and nullity doesn’t change when multiplied by invertible matrices
- talk a bit about change of basis
- More matrix multiplication
- Matrix multiplication is function composition
- Inverses. Wow you folks already learned this secretly. Nice.
- Solutions are posted on canvas.
- Midterm on Friday, up to and including 3.1.
- Be sure to understand conceptual problems.
- Do the derivate thing and talk about the kernel…wow integration!
- Relate to the conceptual problem related the derivatives.
- Do more past exam problems, take from Finals.
- Mostly exam review
- Probably do past exam problems.
- Do a cool a problem that involves having to solve a linear system and then stick it into a matrix.
- Convince them that linear transformations are determined by what they do to the standard basis.
- Convince them that every linear transformation comes from a matrix.
- Do this http://kevinlui.org/au17m308/log/oct11.pdf
- If time, Kernel and ranges.
- Introduce Ax=b, as just linear combinations.
- Uniqueness of solutions given by homogeneous solutions
- Mention how LI and spanning relates to existence and uniqueness of solutions
- Do unifying theorem
- Do many many examples in class
- reduce echelon forms are unique.
- Chapter 1 Conceptual problems are due with Chapter 2 next Friday.
- Go through: http://kevinlui.org/au17m308/log/oct04.pdf
- In general, talk a lot of about spans.
- Linear combinations of linear combinations are linear combinations of original thing.
- Use this to motivate span of two non-parallel vectors being RR^2.
- Does this work for RR3? No.
- Talk about changes to conceptual problems.
- Now have a Canvas.
- There will be a stranger in OH, but it’ll be okay
- Triangular implies echelon
- Go through http://kevinlui.org/au17m308/log/sep29.pdf
- multiply by 2 on the first row
- Basic info
- This is my name, OH, email.
- Syllabus is online
- Here is the grading scale
- Here is the exam schedule
- Please don’t miss exams
- Homework is webassign + conceptual questions
- The conceptual questions are due on the Fridays on week 3,5,7,9
- The week 3 one will be assigned this Friday
- First webassign thing is due Thursday.
- WA office hours are 11-3, 4/4 and 4/8 in the MSC
- Go through http://kevinlui.org/au17m308/log/sep27.pdf